The remote start is a really neat feature on modern cars. However, just like all issues related to a coded key fob, they can be a nightmare if they act up. One of the more common problems is the remote start not working after a battery change. And if that’s the issue you are facing, here is what you can do.
Unfortunately, the remote start reset procedure isn’t universal for all vehicles. It consists of a different sequence of locking, starting, and unlocking your car. Further down, you can check how to reset your remote start on an F-150, F-250, Silverado, and Ram. You will also learn where to find the reset procedure for your vehicle.
Before we go into the different reset procedures, it doesn’t hurt to ensure that a reset is what you need and learn how the remote start works.
How Does a Remote Start Work
The remote start is essentially a separate system from the remote locking. It uses a standalone signal receiver that is encrypted to prevent theft. The signal receiver then taps into your vehicle’s tachometer, ignition switch, battery power and ground, starter motor, and brakes.
Other safety systems include locking the doors before starting the car and preventing you from engaging “Drive” before inserting the key into the ignition. Besides that, the remote start system also employs a hood switch, which doesn’t allow the vehicle to remote start if the hood is open.
So, the system by itself isn’t that complicated. It’s only a matter of tapping into the proper wires and adding a simple signal receiver. However, all the safety and anti-theft features make it extremely sensitive to any outside tampering, including a battery change.
There is also a constant debate about whether or not it can damage the engine. The argument is that letting your engine doesn’t get sufficient lubrication while idling to warm up or cool down the vehicle. That’s true to a certain extent, but anything up to a few minutes won’t hurt. And while that might not be enough to, for example, warm up the cabin, it’s enough for the car to start blowing hot air through the vents.
Diagnosing the Remote Start System
Before we go into the reset sequence, we must address other causes of a nonfunctioning remote start. The first thing to check is whether or not all of your doors are closed. If they don’t latch properly, the remote start can’t lock them and consequently won’t start the vehicle.
The second thing you should check is if the hood is closed. As mentioned earlier, the remote start feature has a non-tampering safety system switch. It doesn’t allow the vehicle to remote start if the hood has not latched correctly.
It also doesn’t hurt to check if you installed the key battery correctly. Most key fobs use a coin battery, and installing them the wrong way up is easy. That’s easy to check if your key has a signal light.
Lastly, remote start won’t work if the transmission is in “drive” or “neutral,” so make sure “park” is engaged.
If all these are good and only one key isn’t working, look at the following reset/programming procedures. However, if none of the keys work, it can indicate other more complicated issues. Either the keys are in valet mode, for which you need your vehicle’s manual to turn off, or some safety systems are faulty, like the hood switch.
Now, if everything checks out, the only thing left is to reset your car key.
How to Reset a Remote Start System
Resetting your key and the remote start system is somewhat intricate, especially considering each vehicle has a unique sequence. It’s also important to note that aftermarket remote start systems have their own reset procedure. Hence, the only thing you can do is check to see if it came with a manual.
Besides the resetting procedures, we will list them here; you can visit “programyourremote.com” to find the right one for your vehicle if none of the following ones match.
The following might also work with other models of the same manufacturer and the same production year.
How to Reset Remote Start Ford F-150 and F-250 2004-2010
Before you start, you should have all your remote start keys in the vehicle.
- Sit inside the car with all the keys
- Do not press the brake pedal
- Unlock all doors using the interior door lock button
- Insert the key and turn it to RUN and back to OFF continuously for eight times, the 8th time ending in RUN. To explain better how that should look: KEY IN-1, RUN-2, OFF-3, RUN-4, OFF-5, RUN-6, OFF-7, RUN-8. That needs to be done within 10 seconds; after that, the door locks will cycle, confirming you have done it right.
- Press any button on the first key within 20 seconds after the door lock cycle
- Press any button on the second key also within 20 seconds
- Turn the ignition to OFF, then the door locks should cycle one more time, and the key is reset
How to Reset Remote Start Ford F-150 and F-250 2011-2014
For this process to work, you need two working keys.
- Insert a working key into the ignition
- Turn the key to ON and after 3-10 seconds, turn it off
- Remove the key and insert the second working one after 3-10 seconds after removing the previous one
- Turn the key on and again, leave it for 3-10 seconds, then ten seconds before turning it off
- Remove the key and insert the third one that’s not working in 3-10 seconds
- Turn the key on and leave it for at least six seconds
- After six seconds, remove it, and if it’s not working, repeat the same process
How to Reset Remote Start Ford F-150 and F-250 2015-2021
There are two different sequences for these model years, one for models with a Flip-Key and another for Smart-Key trucks.
For F-150s With a Flip-Key:
- You need two working keys together with the one that’s not working
- Insert the first working key, turn it on, and leave it on for 1-10 seconds before removing
- After 3-10 seconds, insert the second working key
- Turn the key on and leave it for 1-10 seconds before removing
- After 3-10 seconds, insert the faulty key and, turn it on, leave it on for 1-10 seconds before removing
- After all these steps, your faulty key should be working
For F150s With a Smart-Key:
First, you need two working keys with you and ensure all the doors are closed throughout the process. Next, read through the instructions before starting because you need to do all steps in less than 30 seconds.
- Place the first working key in the center console slot and push the start button without pressing the brake pedal
- Insert the second key into the ignition, and after five seconds, press the start button
- Turn the key on and leave it for 3-10 seconds
- Remove the key from the center console slot and turn the second key off and remove it
- No more than ten seconds later, insert the second key into the center console (the one that was in the ignition previously)
- Push the start button and after 3-10 seconds, insert the first key into the ignition (the one that was in the center console previously)
- After five seconds, push the start button and turn the ignition on for 3-10 seconds
- Remove the second key from the center console, turn the ignition off and remove the first key
- Within 3-10 seconds, place the nonfunctioning key in the center console and press the start button, remove it from the center console and insert it into the ignition switch
- The programming is complete
How to Reset Remote Start Dodge Ram 2004-2008
You need two working keys with the faulty one.
- Insert the first key into the ignition and leave it on for five seconds before removing
- Not more than five seconds later, insert the second key into the ignition and turn it on.
- Wait for the security light to start flashing; after it stops flashing, turn it off and remove the key
- Within five seconds, insert the faulty key and turn it on
- The security light will start flashing, and once it stops, the key is ready
How to Reset Remote Start Chevy Silverado 2004-2006
- Close all the doors
- Insert the key into the ignition switch
- Press and hold the lock button on the driver’s door
- While holding the lock button turn the key on and off two times
- Release the lock button and the car should lock and unlock the doors on its own
- Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key until the doors lock and unlock
- Turn the key on, and the key is ready
How to Reset Remote Start Silverado 2007-2010
- There are two different procedures for these model years—one for trucks with a Driver Information Center and the other for vehicles without it.
- For Silverados with a Driver Information Center
- Insert the key and turn it on
- Press and hold the vehicle information button until the screen displays “press to relearn remote key”
- Press the set/reset button until you see “remote key learning active”
- Press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob until you hear a chime
- Turn the key off and remove it
- For Silversdos without a Driver Information Center
- Put the transmission in Park, insert the key and turn it on
- Press and hold the trip button in the tachometer until you read “relearn remote key”
- Press and hold the trip button again for about three seconds until you read “remote key learning active”
- Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key for about 15 seconds until you hear a chime
- Turn the key off
Why Do You Need Two Keys for a Remote Start?
You only need to work keys to program or reset the remote start function. Once the key is functioning, you no longer need two keys to remote start your vehicle.
Do You Still Need a Key With Remote Start?
You don’t need a key in the ignition to remote start your vehicle. You need the remote or a key fob with remote start functions. After the car is on you, there is no need to insert it into the ignition switch to drive or stop the car. However, in some cars, you might need to push the start button to be able to drive.
How Many Times in a Row Can You Use Remote Start?
Most vehicles allow you to start it remotely only two times in a row. After that, you need to start the car with the ignition switch to enable the remote start function again. Car manufacturers mainly do that for security reasons.
How Long Does the Car Run With Remote Start?
How long a car will stay on after a remote start depends on the model. The time it runs varies between 5-15 minutes. Remote start shuts the car down for security reasons and the vehicle’s longevity since idling for a prolonged time can be bad for the engine. There are ways you can extend the running time, but that’s not something we would recommend.
Can Someone Else Remote Start Your Car?
Nobody can start your car using a different remote other than yours. Also, the signal used for remote starting is encrypted, so people scanning for key fob signals will also have a hard time stealing your car. That said, automotive technology and car theft technology evolve together, so it’s always good to be careful.
Does Remote Start Unlock Doors?
If the car’s doors are unlocked before starting, the remote start system will lock them. That’s to prevent anyone from jumping in the car and driving off while you’re not looking. Once you’re near the vehicle, you can either unlock it using the remote lock buttons on the key or via the keyless entry.
Does the AC Turn on With Remote Start?
The AC would turn on with the vehicle if you left it on after turning it off. The same goes for heating. Whatever settings you selected before turning the vehicle off will remain. You can only change the AC settings remotely with newer and more expensive cars with a key display.
Remote start can be very helpful in extreme weather conditions. That’s why it’s such a pain if they quit working. Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to reset the remote start function after changing the battery.
More often than not, the hood switch could be acting up in which there is nothing you can do besides fixing it. We also mentioned several other causes you must address before switching to a remote start reset.
However, if you went over all the checks before resetting the key fob and all of them are ok, the best thing you can do is get a manual for your vehicle.
Alternatively, you can check the website we left earlier in the article to find your vehicle’s reset sequence. That’s if you don’t own any of the trucks we included. It’s also important to note that for many newer cars, it’s not possible to reset the key without special equipment. But, to confirm that, you can check your owner’s manual.
Here are some articles that might interest you:
Power Door Lock Not Working Drivers Side: Causes and Fixes
Toyota Prius Key Battery Low Warning Message
How to Unlock Jeep With Keys Inside?
Nissan Key Fob Not Working After Battery Change
How do I reset my remote starter after replacing the battery? ›
Press the lock button on your remote starter, then turn key off for 5 seconds (or push start button again_ Repeat this cycle 3 times (4 times total)How do you reset and car remote starter? ›
Press the Lock button on your remote car starter. Within five seconds of turning it on, turn your key back to the "off" position (or press the start button again). Repeat the on-off cycle three more times—you'll do four in total.Why is my remote start not working after car battery replaced? ›
If you're experiencing issues with your remote start after changing the battery, it's possible that the coolant temperature in your vehicle is too high or the oil pressure is too low. If this is the case, then your remote starter system will be disabled.Do you have to reprogram car remote after changing battery? ›
Typically, you do not need to reprogram the key fob after changing the battery. However, if you've replaced not just the batteries but also some of the internal wiring and electronics, you may need to reprogram it by pairing it with your vehicle once again.How do I get my remote start to work again? ›
If your remote starter isn't working, be sure that you're using the remote properly. If your remote starter system isn't working properly, try replacing the battery in your fob. You can find replacement key fob batteries at Batteries Plus. Most remote starter fobs run on 2032 lithium coin cell batteries.What is the reset button on the remote? ›
Pressing the RESET button on the remote control while in a menu changes the settings in the active menu back to the factory defaults.Why won't my car start with the remote starter? ›
Double check your engine coolant and oil temperatures: If the engine coolant temperature is too high or the oil pressure is too low, remote start is disabled! After you have let the car cool down for 5-10 minutes and rechecked the levels, retry the start procedure.Why is my RC car not responding to controller? ›
Check Your Batteries
Put good, fresh batteries in the RC and in the transmitter. Even nitro RCs need a battery pack to run the internal electronics. Make sure it is fully charged. Doublecheck that you installed the batteries correctly, as even one incorrectly inserted battery can cause problems.
Some reasons why remote start might not work is if the function is disabled if the hood is not closed, if the key fob is inside the car (to prevent you from locking yourself out), or if the hazard lights are on. Check these if you're having any trouble.Does car battery affect remote start? ›
All remote starters, whether from Compustar, Arctic Start, or another brand, draw power from your battery. Even while your engine is off, a remote start system still draws current while it waits to receive a command from your remote fob.
Will check engine light cause remote start not to work? ›
If the 'Check Engine Light' or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is illuminated, the remote start will not work. Don't panic, one of the reasons the MIL can illuminate is due to a loose gas cap!How long does it take to reprogram a car remote? ›
Luckily, even if you have to go to a dealer, it's not a lengthy process. Most dealers we contacted said key-fob programming typically takes just 15-30 minutes, and the whole process, including cutting the mechanical spare key, rarely takes longer than an hour.What to do after replacing car battery? ›
Start your automobile and drive it for at least 10 to 15 miles after reconnecting the battery. That allows the ECM adequate time to determine whether the issue has been resolved. Resetting the auto computer is a good idea in order for the ECM to recognize the new parts after a part replacement.Why is my car not detecting my key fob? ›
Reasons your car won't detect the key fob
the battery inside the remote is dead. the remote itself is broken or no longer programmed to your car. the car battery is low. the keyless operation system is faulty.
It must be in a secure, hidden location that won't require extending the supplied wires. The usual position is inside the lower dash underneath the steering wheel. This way you can connect directly to the ignition wiring.How do you troubleshoot problems with remote working? ›
- Keep calm and do some research. ...
- Make a list of potential problems. ...
- 'Crowdsource' a solution with your contacts. ...
- Make sure your software is up to date. ...
- Provide clear, thorough information to your IT team. ...
- Learn how to enable remote assistance. ...
- Turn to in-house help channels. ...
- Get involved with product communities.
Alternatively called the reset switch, the reset button allows devices that utilize it, such as a computer or peripheral to be rebooted. Usually, the button is on the front of the device, next to or near the power button.How do I reset my all in one remote? ›
- Hold down the TV Power and Back keys until the ring blinks twice in yellow.
- Press OPTIONS, REPLAY and HOME consecutively.
- The ring will blink red 4 times and the remote is now reset.
One common culprit for this problem is the crankshaft position sensor, which measures the position and speed of the crankshaft. The computer uses the information from this sensor to know when to fire the spark plugs. If the sensor isn't working, the spark plugs won't fire, keeping the engine from starting.Why won't my car start if I has a good battery and good starter? ›
Bad Spark Plug Or Broken Distributor Cap/Rotor
If you have a good battery and enough fuel in the gas tank and your car still won't start, chances are you have a bad spark plug. Why? A bad spark plug will prevent fuel ignition, and the vehicle won't move.
What turns on remote start? ›
The transmitter is what you keep with you to start the system. It's usually a key fob similar to what vehicles have to activate the alarm and lock or unlock the vehicle. Basic fobs simply have a button to start the vehicle. More advanced fobs let you control other things.Can I start my car without remote? ›
Yes, once the car is started, the engine will run without the key fob. However, once the engine shuts down, you won't be able to restart it without the key fob.How do I program my GM key fob to remote start? ›
On your Chevy key fob, press and hold the “Unlock” and “Lock” buttons simultaneously until you hear the door locks engage and disengage again, indicating that you have successfully programmed your key fob. Re-insert the newly programmed key into the ignition in the “On” position to end the programming sequence.Does remote start use ignition switch? ›
Simply put, car remote starters mimic the engine starting sequence that you trigger when you turn on the vehicle with your key. However, a remote car starter does this without a physical key in the ignition. This is possible when the control module is wired into your starter mechanisms and ignition switch.How do you reconnect an RC remote? ›
Remove / Replace fresh batteries into the transmitter. With the vehicle upside down, wheels facing you, turn the vehicle's on/off switch to the “ON” position. The vehicle is now in sync mode. You have approximately 30 seconds to sync the transmitter to the vehicle.What causes a controller to stop working? ›
Your controller needs new batteries. The firmware in your controller needs to be updated. Your controller is too far away from the gaming console. There are too many devices connected to your gaming console.Why is my Chevy truck not starting? ›
The most common reason a Chevy car (or any car) won't start is a dead battery. If you have a battery tester, check your charge to see if it's low. A dead battery can also be jumpstarted with jumper cables.What does it mean if the car doesnt start up but lights and radio work? ›
When Your Car Won't Start, but Radio and All the Lights Come On? If all the lights still work along with the radio, and there is no clicking noise, you may be dealing with one or more faulty spark plugs. Spark plugs work by providing a spark to ignite the air-fuel mixture in the engine.Does AutoZone reprogram remotes? ›
AutoZone provides a variety of key fobs that work for most vehicle makes, and they will help you match and program your fob to your car. Key fobs can range from $20 to $400 depending on the vehicle and the type of fob you buy.How much does it cost to reprogram a car remote? ›
While it's hard to give a universal estimate, the general cost is between $50 and $250 for reprogramming. Here's a look at some factors that can determine price: Fob Type: Smart keys with a transponder (RFID), keyless ignition, or other extra features tend to be more expensive to reprogram.
Why is my car acting weird after battery change? ›
The only reason why the car acts a bit “Weird” is because it is relearning various fuel trims. Removing the battery resets the fuel trims which means the ECM has to relearn these.Why won t my car radio turn on after replacing battery? ›
The most common reason for a car radio to stop working after the battery has gone completely dead is that the radio has an anti-theft “feature” that kicks in whenever battery power is removed. When that happens, all you have to do is enter the right car radio code, and you're back in business.Do I have to reprogram key fob after replacing battery? ›
Typically, you do not need to reprogram the key fob after changing the battery. However, if you've replaced not just the batteries but also some of the internal wiring and electronics, you may need to reprogram it by pairing it with your vehicle once again.How do I reset my car remote? ›
Press the Lock button on your remote car starter. Within five seconds of turning it on, turn your key back to the "off" position (or press the start button again). Repeat the on-off cycle three more times—you'll do four in total.Why is my car remote not working after battery change? ›
If a key fob still doesn't work after you replace the batteries, the problem may not be with the device itself. You may need to repair the latches on your car doors or free a door that's stuck in the locked position. It's possible that the problem is a broken lock component.How do you reconnect a remote control? ›
- Power on the TV or other device you'd like to connect to.
- Insert batteries into your remote and point at the device.
- Press and release the correct device button on your remote for the device you're connecting. ...
- Now press the power button and the device button simultaneously.
The most common reason for a vehicle to start, then immediately shut off is engine checking. Compustar and Arctic Start systems monitor voltage or tachometer signals from your vehicle to know exactly when the vehicle has started.